Tuesday 25 March 2008

Easter Gardening

Easter has been a bit chilly this year. So I have divided my time between catching up on watching gardening programmes I had recorded and planting up my raspberries, strawberries and onions.

I spent Easter Sunday eating chocolate and watching Matt James in about six episodes of his programme The City Gardener. He is a truly inspirational garden designer. I wish he could come and help me with my odd garden. I also watched Gardeners' World, which is back on our screens, to my delight. I have watched that programme for years and it's always been my favourite. I love it when the theme music comes on and I know that for the next half an hour I will be in heaven. When my children were little, they knew not to disturb me on a Friday night at 8 o'clock. My favourite presenter on the show, has to be Geoff Hamilton. I loved his 'make do and mend' philosophy, he really inspired me to garden and I was terribly sad when he died. Then came along Alan Titchmarsh. He was much too flowery in his description of things for my taste. Geoff was down to earth, whereas Alan tried to ponce things up and always went for the expensive option, totally opposite to Geoff. So when Alan left, I was delighted to see the new team, headed up by Monty Don, with Joe Swift and the lovely Carol Klein.


So I have now planted up my strawberry planter with a variety called Marshmellow and my raspberry canes are now in proper. I didn't have enough room for all the canes, so four have gone into terracota pots. The variety is Joan J an autumn variety. And lastely my red onions have been planted next to the garlic. I have chosen the variety Red Baron.

Next weekend the clocks go forward. My favourite day of the year! So more light to garden in and with the ground starting to warm up, it's going to be a busy time in the garden.
These were not from my garden but a bunch from my son.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin