Sunday 7 February 2010

NGS Yellow Book Launch

Not even the grey London skies could put a dampener on the joy I was feeling, as I travelled up by train, on Wednesday for the launch of the NGS yellow book.

It was very busy with, as one lovely person I met put it, 'the gardening mafia' but it felt good to connect with people who shared my interest in garden writing and imagery.
I met Joe Swift and no I didn't explode but gave him my card and had a nice conversation with him about the NGS. He has taken over the role of President this year and I couldn't think of a more perfect ambassador for the organisation. On television he is usually seen in his gardening gear but I can happily report that he scrubs up very well, in his suit and crisp white shirt.
He gave a speech and cheques were handed over to Marie Curie Cancer Care, Macmillan Cancer Support and Cross Roads Hospice. Amazing amounts of money is raised through people opening their gardens in aid of the National Garden Scheme, it really is a fantastic organisation.
During a talk about the different kinds of gardens open around the country, an image of one the gardens from my project appeared. This was from the garden of Mr and Mrs Cleall at 1162 Wimborne Road.



An absolutely lovely suburban garden and well worth a visit.

I am absolutely delighted to say that the following four images from my project, appear in this years book.

Wild Garlic from Wincombe Park

Nora Barlow from Herons Mead

Noel Road (this appears in black and white)

Betty's cake from Knowle Farm

I shall carry on supporting the NGS with my photography this year and if you can support them by visiting a garden, you won't be disappointed. Teas, cakes and gardens, what a perfect combination!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fab time...the photos are gorgeous!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin