Sunday 27 April 2008

This Is Hardcore

What an industrious weekend. I can't believe how lovely the weather was yesterday, as I sit looking out at the grey skies and drizzle.

I started after my chiropractor appointment on Friday evening. I thought if I just got stuck in, that I wouldn't feel the pain in my arm. I cut the grass at the back of my garden for the first time this year. Its a very large space on a couple of levels. It really doesn't know what it wants to do and I don't know what to do with it either. It faces south so gets lots of sun and would be ideal for some kind of sun terrace. I need some inspiration before I decide.

On Saturday I planted my Charlotte potatoes. My Pink Fir Apple potatoes haven't chitted enough, so I am going to keep them back another week. I sowed some Basil, Tomatoes. Chillies (free with Gardeners World magazine) and Butternut Squash seeds.


The biggest job of the weekend was the hard landscaping. I had a garden path, which dipped in the middle, so that had to come up. We hired a jack hammer to get the concrete path up and to remove a wall. We had hoped that the concrete path we had removed, could be used for the hardcore for the path but it was too chunky, so we had to pay a visit to B & Q and buy 20 bags of sub base, which was so heavy to push in the trolley, it took the two of us to push with all our might. We also hired a whacker plate to tamp everything down, ready for a dressing of gravel. There was also a wobbly arch across the path, which we pulled down, which has really opened up the garden.
We are going to have to get a skip to remove the rubble which is left but I have lots of other jobs in the pipeline, like to remove the grass which the hardcore is sitting on to make way for some plants and also the front garden needs a makeover so I'll hang on until I am ready to do those jobs and hopefully by then my arm will be of better use to me.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin